The Final 20 Trends from the OTC and Trendington Event
ICT FOR AN INTERCONNECTED SOCIETY
- 3D Printing Molecules
- Adaptive Assurance of Autonomous Systems
- Neuromorphic Computing (new types of hardware) and Biomimetic AI
- Limits of Quantum Computing: Decoherence and use of Machine Learning
- Ethically Trustworthy AI & Anonymous Analytics
- Beyond 5G Hardware
- New Approaches to Data Interoperability in IOT
BIOTECHNOLOGY & HEALTH SCIENCES
- Cognitive Augmentation & Intelligence Amplification
- Regenerative Medicine
- Drug Discovery & Manufacture Using AI
- Bioinformatics & AI in ‘Omics’
- Cellular Senescence & Life Extension
- Bio Robotics/Bionics
ENVIRONMENT, ENERGY & CLIMATE CHANGE
- Energy Efficient Water Treatments
- Algae Against Climate Change
- High Temperature Superconductivity & Twist Electronics
- Self Healing Batteries
- Net Zero buildings (and beyond)
- Arctic Climate Change
- Beyond Smart Grids – Advanced Data Analytics & ML
- Zero Power Sensors & Ocean Wiring and Sensing
The OTC is now closed. Thanks to all the researchers, policy makers and technical experts we received over 3000 responses. The results are now being evaluated. Watch this space for the results.
Explore our Periodic Table of Trends
Visit Our Interactive Periodic Table To Discover The Latest Technology Trends That Could Shape Our Would And Impact You.
Energy, Environment & Climate Change
How where the 45 pre-validated trends detected?
We run a Top-Process with, so far, the following steps:
- Human-based detection of signals;
- AI-based analysis of signals and building of pre-validated FET trends;
- Human-based refining of pre-validated trends / Detection of players and sub-trends.
The result from these 3 first steps is a (1st version) list of high-probability FET trends, that will be kept alife by continuously updating and enriching it. Then, there are 3 extra steps:
- Open consultation, in which you can take part from 24/06/2019 until the beginning of our Trendington event.
- (In parallel to 4) Mapping amongst FET trends and UNO’s Sustainable Development Goals, for leveraging the RRI perspective (Responsible Research and Innovation);
- Organisation of the Trendington with experts to select the 15 most promising trends within the FET context.
Additionally, we have Bottom-processes for each of these steps. In relation to the second step, titled “AI-based analysis of signals and building of pre-validated FET trends”, the added-value brought by AI is summarized in:
- It gives very relevant input to the labelling sub-process (building trend titles from signals);
- It gives crucial/key input for a data-based pre-validation of trends, to be complemeted with the human-based validation within the open consultation. On the one hand, a multi-variable scoreboard allows us managing the subjective nature of FET trends and uncertainity behind technology foresight. On the other hand, it is complemented with a multi-query process, through which loops of ontology-enriched queries are launched to Linknovate’s platform(one of PREFET’s Partners) in order to detect flaws, strenghts, experts, relationships… Through this process, the platform also helps identifying relevant key-words that make more effective queries.
What is the Trendington?
A biannual event convening researchers and other stakeholders around prioritised long-term technology trends with potential impact over UNO’s Social Development Goals.
More information here.